Recent Terroristic Attacks in France

LINK to ARTICLE

“Paris Attacks: France deploys thousands to guard vulnerable locations” by Peter Walker of The Guardian

Nutshell Summary

Because of recent violent terroristic acts in France (including the murders of 12 Charlie Hedbo staff members, as well as four hostages in a kosher supermarket, and a police officer) 10,000 security personnel will be in force to protect Jewish schools and other potentially vulnerable establishments that have been named as potential targets for further acts of terror. Three of the terrorists involved have been killed, but at least one more–the wife of one of the dead terrorists–is still on the run (and considered armed and dangerous). So far, the French citizens and their leaders (as well as other world leaders) have banded together in a show of unity coming out in droves to march in a show of solidarity in favor of peace. Charlie Hedbo’s surviving staff have vowed to publish a new edition next week.

Relevance

This article is relevant because acts of terror such as this have not occurred in France for such a long time. It was a violent and deadly attack against people with whom the terrorists disagreed. Charlie Hedbo is a weekly (Hedbo actually means weekly) magazine that focuses on satirical cartoons. Because some of the cartoons poke fun of Muslim leaders, they had been a target of terroristic threats AND a bombing in the past. Freedom of speech is an important aspect of living in the United States, but even here in the United States, Charlie Hedbo’s cartoons (specifically those depicting Muslim figures) have been censored for fear of retribution by terrorists on American soil. Even though this happened in France, it affects us too. It is also personally (quite selfishly) relevant to me because I was just in Paris six months ago. I was there with students and their parents and felt very responsible for them. It is strange to think that we could’ve brushed elbows with terrorists when we were there, but I suppose that could happen anywhere in the world, including home.

My Opinion

I am a proponent of freedom of speech. I don’t believe we are as free to speak (or write) as  we often believe we are in the U.S., but I am grateful that I live somewhere where I am guaranteed a greater level of protection for what I say than many places in the world. France promotes freedom of speech for the most-part too and most speech is protected. However, these terrorists, who have publicly sworn allegiance to ISIS, took that freedom away from the journalists and several people who were just shopping in a grocery story and one police officer who was just doing her job. These terrorists call themselves “martyrs,” but in order to be considered a martyr, you must die for a just cause. If anything, these terrorists made martyrs of the Charlie Hedbo staff, who died in the name of free speech, so their plan to martyr themselves backfired.

Further Reading

How French Weekly Charlie Hebdo Became a Terrorist Target

Vignettes: More about the 17 killed in French terror attacks

In Paris gunman’s hideaway, police find ISIS flags and weapons, report says

Anonymous target terrorist Twitter accounts after Charlie Hebdo attack

#JeSuisCharlie? No I’m not really Charlie Hebdo; Here’s why

Freedom of Speech by Country

32 thoughts on Recent Terroristic Attacks in France

1. That was really interesting. I liked how you applied it to your life being there and possibly brushing shoulders with terrorists.

Reply
  2. This article was very interesting. I never thought about the chance of brushing shoulders with a terrorist anywhere

Reply
  3. I had heard of this on the news and really didn’t know what they were talking about until the article you gave a presentation on. I feel like that is scary to think it could happen anywhere even the places you least expect.

Reply
  4. This event is so sad to hear about, but I do agree with your opinion on how people think they can just say whatever they want but there are some restrictions on what we say.

Reply
  5. It is unsettling knowing that something that happened so far away can affect us over here. I could understand being upset if my religion was painted in a bad light but I would never hurt anyone over it.

Reply
  6. I think that this subject was very interesting. The fact that you can apply the whole freedom of speech to a lot of this happening in the world is kind of eye opening! Not a lot of people realize how serious this subject can be.

Reply
  7. It was a very different report in my opinion. It made me realize that things could happen to anyone based on you and the students being there. I liked how you applied the article to your personal experience.

Reply
  8. Like many Americans I often take my rights for granted. This attack, while terrible, has really allowed my to appreciate the country I live in and the rights I am allowed. I can’t even imagine a life where I wasn’t free to express myself. It is a shame that some many people died because they exercised one of their basic rights.

Reply
  9. I thought it was good topic it was interesting. It’s kind of scary that you were there and could’ve seen them.

Reply
  10. I thought it was very interesting and I like how it shows that anything can happen anywhere and it actually relates to your life because you were there.

Reply
  11. I think it’s great that you feel strongly about freedom of speech and interesting that you know about France’s rights and freedoms of speech. It shows that you are more educated about the event.

Reply
  12. Anything to do with terrorism is very scary and especially when you think about being in that exact place where that is happening less than a year ago. Hopefully the thought of that won’t deter you from going back there one day. Very interesting article.

Reply
  13. I really liked this news article, I actually found it very interesting. I’ve actually heard about it on the news. Yesterday there was actually a snapchat on your story about which was also interesting to see. Do you think these types of terrorist attacks will be more common after this one?

Reply
  14. Such an eye opener. It’s so freakin scary thinking about things like this and really makes you wonder about the people you are surrounded with at places.

Reply
  15. This post makes me think about how important freedom of speech is. Freedom of speech is, of course, a fantastic thing to have, but it’s crazy to know that a terroristic attack could be sparked by something as small as the content of a cartoon. If everyone believed that freedom of speech was our right as humans, events like this wouldn’t happen.

Reply
  16. I thought that it was very informing and interesting! I like how you applied the article to your life and I also thought it was very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Reply
  17. I think that we all forget and take for granted some of the freedoms we have like the freedom of speech! It’s hard to wrap your mind around the idea that some people can’t voice their opinion without consequences.

Reply
  18. It’s weird to think that something so far away could effect lives everywhere.

Reply
  19. I think this article is very interesting! It’s also interesting that you went to France this summer so it has a personal connection with you. Many people take things like freedom of speech for granted.

Reply
  20. I love what you said about how blessed we are to have the protection we do! Articles like these are extremely scary 😳 but help me to remember how lucky we are to live in such a safe place.

Reply
  21. When you visited Paris did you walk past or visit the building that was attacked?

Reply
    1. I don’t know. I was so overwhelmed being somewhere where I didn’t know the language and meeting new people and trying new foods that I don’t know the names of any of the lesser-known buildings I was near. (I remember big ones like the Eiffel Tower and the Palace of Versailles, obviously, but Paris isn’t as big as you would think it is, so I suppose I could’ve been. In any case, I was closer to it than I am now!)

Reply
  22. This was a very interesting article. I like that you related it too your own past experience.

Reply
  23. The article was very interesting and I liked how u applied it to your life. Also the things that happened over there are really bad to hear about.

Reply
  24. I found this article incredibly sad. I hate the fact that people are retaliating with terroristic threats and bombings because of a little cartoon.

Reply
  25. I liked the article, thought it was cool that you could have brushed shoulders with a terrorist

Reply
  26. I thought the article was interesting. I have been hearing this on the news for a couple of days and I like how every body is trying to help them out.

Reply
  27. It’s very sad to hear things like this. It’s hard to know that this can happen anywhere and at anytime.i don’t think it’s right that people think they can do things like this to other people

Reply
  28. Thought this article was interesting, haven’t heard of it till just now. It’s a little strange you could have been standing next to a terrorist and have no idea of it.

Reply
  29. I found it interesting. I feel like it’s crazy that this happens everywhere no matter what.

Reply