Instagram in the Classroom

PROJECTS that have WORKED WELL for ME

Winter’s Bone

Click HERE—for the—>DOLLY RULES ASSIGNMENT.

Click HERE—for the—>@DOLLYFAMILYRULES INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT

EXAMPLES from the project:

Loading

Never. Never ask for what ought to be offered. ~ Ree Dolly page 5

View on Instagram

Loading

Home and land are more valuable than money.

View on Instagram

Loading

Don’t be a snitch.

View on Instagram

When we were done, I reached out to Daniel Woodrell’s editor:

Four days later, Daniel Woodrell wrote back!

WONDER

Click here—for the—>PRECEPTS FINAL ASSIGNMENT.

Click here—for the—>@PRECEPTSCL INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT.

EXAMPLES:

Loading

Have no friends not equal to yourself. ~ Confucius #Precepts #Wonder

View on Instagram

Loading

If you want to lift yourself up, lift someone else up. #Precepts #Wonder

View on Instagram

We recently reached out to RJ Palacio as well, but we are still waiting (and we know she’s in the middle of a book tour now, so we are being patient).

RELATIONSHIP IS KING: Is an entry I wrote last school year about an activity that I tried with my students after the Winter Break.

Here’s what the results of the project looked like:

#phsWORlit #phsCONlit #phsAPeng Favorite Things Assignment–> Desk: One of my favorite places to be is school where so much learning takes place, so I chose a desk as a backdrop. Top Hat and Rabbit Ears: As a drama teacher, I appreciate what a simple bit of costuming can do for an actor or even a non-actor. Modge Podge: In my (very limited spare time) I like to dabble in art–specifically mixed media art and one of my main ingredients is Modge Podge. Hagrid Figurine: I am a Harry Potter nerd. Literature Anthology: Reading books is one of my favorite things to do and I can’t pick just one favorite, so I chose this anthology since it is full of a variety of stories and poetry. Note Card: My Fall Play cast gave this to me in a bouquet of flowers after our show wrapped this year. My students are very important to me. Skull: The image of a skull represents many things to me: theater, the fragility of life, decomposition and a return to the Earth. Pencil: I love to write and sketch with a pencil. Ticonderogas are the best. Photo: These are my three favorite people -> my husband and my two daughters.

One amazing educator who I met through a Twitter chat uses Instagram as a way to build relationship is Seena Rich, an English teacher and self-proclaimed “bad speller” (“Yes, you can be both,” she says) at Vista Valley High School in California keeps a brilliant classroom Instagram called changenaysayers. She documents the fun in her classroom as well as assignments and student work. What a great thing to show parents!

Here are some examples from changenaysayers:

Loading

So this student blew me away on the THIRD DAY OF SCHOOL!!! She made a 3 minute horror short!! What?! Yeah, that’s right and she goes to Valley Vista! Here she is setting it up for the class. Why not? #letthemteach #altED #changenaysayers #vvhstoday #latepost #first5days Already learning so much from our students!!

View on Instagram

Loading

Student trying out sketching on @fiftythree Be open!Share! #showyourwork #vvhs

View on Instagram

Loading

The money shot!! Pennies for Patients! Valley Fundraising!

View on Instagram

Loading

Love offering different seating options for students. They just vibe this way. The girl on the couch is actually using my flannel as a blanket!

View on Instagram

OTHER IDEAS (that I’ve seen, but haven’t used yet)

Creating Original Content for Student Blogs: We often encourage our students to include visual media in their blog entries. To avoid copyright issues, you can have them shoot their own photos, upload to Instagram and then the student can use the embed code to include the photo in the blog entry.

Math: Go on a quest to find images that represent parallel lines, fractions, angles, shapes, etc.

Field Trip: Scavenger Hunt. Find a unique hashtag and have your students take specific photos whilst on a field trip. Have them tag each photo with the pre-selected hashtag.

Process documentation: As your students create an artwork, experiment, or make a recipe, have them document the steps in photos.

Content: There are many fabulous educationally-focused Instagram accounts that could be used for content-specific courses. What follows are some examples.

Mar Curiosity has a fan site:

Loading

Using its 120′ field of view #HazCam (front-left ‘B’), #Curiosity snaps a ground perspective of its ongoing experiments. Above and to the left of the rover’s arm shadow, you can see the slope of Mount Sharp rising in the distance. This Instagram contrast enhanced photo was taken on Sol 520 (2014-01-22 10:34:36 UTC)

View on Instagram

American Civil War Day By Day: Whoever runs this site is documenting the Civil War in photos, day by day:

Loading

On or around October 6, 1862, Timothy O’Sullivan took this image of a Union Signal Station on Elk Mountain on the Antietam Battlefield. O’Sullivan would extensively photograph the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg and the 1864 Siege of Petersburg. Source: Library of Congress. #AmericanHistory #CivilWarDaybyDay #CivilWar #Antietam #Maryland #1862

View on Instagram

Cory Richards is a NATGEO photographer. I would like to use some of his photos as writing prompts.

Loading

Tibetan monk, Khumbu afternoon. Traveling in #Nepal never gets old…so many old friends to see and new ones to make along the path. @thenorthface @thephotosociety @natgeo @natgeocreative #neverstopexploring @3stringsproductions

View on Instagram

Loading

Honored and humbled to be working with two of America’s finest, David & Kevin, part @wwpinc on this very special day. With deep gratitude and thanks for their service…#projecttitan

View on Instagram

Loading

A clip from the new short film created by @bluechalkmedia Watch the full video at coryrichards.com and win an archival framed 16×24 signed limited edition print of any photo featured in the video. To enter upload your best #lifeisfun themed photo to Instagram with @coryrichards and #lifeisfun in the caption. Visit the coryrichards.com contest page for more details. And special thanks to liveBooks for creating the rad new site. @natgeocreative @thenorthface @3stringsproductions

View on Instagram

NOAA Fisheries documents the work they do with “science-based conservation and management for sustainable living marine resources and healthy ecosystems” and the results are some astounding photos.

Loading

Take a look at these two shortfin mako sharks! Mako sharks are fast-moving and streamlined. They propel themselves through the water with short strokes of their thick, powerful tails. Shortfin mako sharks live near the surface in #tropical and temperate #oceans around the world. In the eastern Pacific Ocean, they’re found from the Columbia River to Chile. Off the West Coast, they’re most common off #California. In the Indo-Pacific, shortfin mako sharks are found from East Africa and the Red Sea to #Hawaii. Juveniles are most common in coastal waters, and adults are primarily found offshore. Shortfin makos are a highly #migratory species, capable of swimming long distances across entire oceans. Learn more from NOAA’s FishWatch.gov: http://www.fishwatch.gov/seafood_profiles/species/shark/species_pages/pac_shortfin_mako_shark.htm Photo: Southwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA Fisheries Service. #sharks #sharkweek #sharks365 #welovesharks #noaa #noaafisheries #southwest #fisheries #science #center

View on Instagram

Loading

Ready to jump into the weekend? Happy FishWatch Friday! Information on Pacific blue marlin can now be found on FishWatch. Blue marlin are a type of billfish. Billfish are predatory fish species that have a long “bill” that they move from side to side when swimming through giant #schools of small fish. This sweeping motion stuns the fish, making it easier for the billfish to capture and eat their prey. Historically, Pacific blue marlin and other billfish were feared because their large bills were believed to be able to pierce #fishing canoes. Although blue marlin live throughout many areas of the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, scientists now believe there is only one species. The “Indo-Pacific blue marlin” or Makaira mazara, was renamed to match the name of the Atlantic blue marlin, Makaira nigricans. Blue marlin are the largest billfish species, but Pacific blue marlin tend to be larger than those found in the Atlantic. Learn more about this species on our new seafood profile page: http://www.fishwatch.gov/seafood_profiles/species/marlin/species_pages/pac_blue_marlin.htm Get a closer look at this photo from the NOAA Photo Library: http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/htmls/fish0377.htm

View on Instagram

The Smithsonian Magazine produces some interesting photos that could be used as writing prompts as well, for the language arts OR social studies classroom.

Loading

An Afghan soldier eating grapes while on patrol in Zhari District west of Kandahar City. This region is well known for its agricultural production mostly grapes for making raisins. Photo copyright Louie Palu. To see more of my work www.louiepalu.com and follow me on instagram @louiepalu twitter @loupalu #documentary #photojournalism #war #afghanistan #kandahar #photography #photooftheday #picoftheday #instadaily #instagood @mollyarob

View on Instagram

Loading

Elvera Patrick, Congress Heights Day Parade, Martin Luther King Ave NE, Washington, DC.#southeastlove #eotr #follow @susanagraph #parade

View on Instagram

Loading

A father with his infant daughter Last Star Homes, Browning, Montana on the Blackfeet Reservation. From the project Grown Up West- www.grownupwest.com @redrobis #montana #blackfeet #grownupwest #browning #rebeccadrobisphotography #smithsonianmag

View on Instagram