Make a young person’s day by leaving a simple comment on a blog! #comments4kids

*Updated from my April 2013 post

My students, like many writers, crave feedback! Here is a LINK to a roster of their blogs: https://morgetron.edublogs.org/my-students-passion-blogs/  If you have the time and the *positive* energy to share, please visit one or more of them and leave them a little (or big) message. It will make their day!

The best types of comments are
A. questions that extend the conversation
Why do you believe the unicameral is such a positive thing?
OR
Do you believe that this will change the way we do business in America?

B. observations about the content or style of the post
I noticed that you are very passionate about aliens!
OR
I’d never thought about deer habitats from the perspective of a deer before I read your post.

C. counter-points to a position (done respectfully)
As someone who has experienced hunger first-hand, I disagree with your stance on welfare.

D. personal or observational connections you made to their post
This reminds me of the time I made my teacher laugh so hard, she cried.
OR
Your writing reminds me of David Sedaris’s!

E. compliments!
Wow! This is some dandy writing!
OR
Keep writing! This is goooooood stuff!

In all honesty, though, I believe ANY comment–even brief ones–can encourage students to continue writing. Just knowing they have an audience will propel them.

Thank you for your time!

5 thoughts on Make a young person’s day by leaving a simple comment on a blog! #comments4kids

1. I’ll help you out, but I want to know one thing; 1 teacher to another, how did you get your district to agree to let kids post blogs AND allow public feedback? Been trying to get this done for years!

Reply
    1. Thanks, Mark. I am fortunate enough work for a forward-thinking district. In all honesty, I didn’t have to try hard at all. I wish I had a better answer for you, but it’s the truth! We are a 1:1 district and so technology and the social aspect of using said technology is a big part of what we do. The students are establishing a positive digital footprint … or tattoo (which I recently heard it called and believe it is more a more accurate comparison) with these blogs, and luckily, for my students, the powers that be, agree with me on that, or at least willing to let me try this out for now.

Reply
  2. Hi Jodie, I’ve posted comments on a couple of the blogs (sorry I don’t know anything about softball or basketball so couldn’t post on those!). I’m looking for US teachers who might like to receive a gift of one of my new Kindle ebooks (I’m an educational author here in the UK, looking to link up with teachers in the US). It would be a completely no obligation gift, although I would welcome any feedback from a US perspective if you had the time. There’s a book on behaviour (sorry, behavior!) and also one on differentiation. They will come up if you type my name on amazon. Let me know if that would be of interest @Sue_Cowley

Reply
    1. Hi Sue, Thanks for commenting on two of the blogs. My students appreciate all of the feedback they can get!

As far as your books are concerned, I’d like to help you out, but I currently have a pretty long “to read” list and I’d be happy to add your books to that list, but I can’t foresee me getting to them in a timely manner. If you need immediate feedback, I won’t be of much service, but if you don’t mind waiting a considerable period of time for feedback, sign me up.

Reply
  3. Pingback: Adventures in Technology - The class blog